April 12, 2008
Originally published August 9, 2003
I love Southern food. I'm a skinny little shit, but I still like to eat the good stuff I find around me all the time. Here are MY TOP TEN SOUTHERN FOODS
1) Southern Fried Chicken. I have a recipe that'll blow your drawers off.
2) Fried Okra. Good? Just damn!
3) Blackeyed peas and rice. Good with all of the above.
4) Fried green tomatoes. If you've never tried them, you've never lived.
5) Pinto beans and cornbread. Food of the Gods.
6) Fresh watermelon, bought at a roadside stand from a farmer that you can dicker with. He's selling them for $2.00 each, but you can get three for $5.00 if you flash some green. A Southern watermelon in the summer is as sweet as you mama's kiss.
7) Grits. ALL HAIL GRITS!!! I don't give a shit what the Group Captain thinks about this matter. Grits are GOOD, with over-easy eggs in the morning, or with fish and shrimp at night. Anybody who doesn't eat grits should be dragged off and shot.
8) Low Country Boil. If you don't know what that is, you are pathetic.
9) Barbecued pork ribs. I'm taking about falling off the bone tender, with lots of hot sauce. Come South and taste mine. You'll never go north again.
10) Fresh fried, skillet-made creamed corn. That'll make you kiss the cook.
I could go on, but I am finished now.
All content © Rob Smith