October 28, 2007
My top ten
Originally published June 1, 2004
My ass is still chapped from watching that Top 100 Country Music Songs countdown last night. I totally disagree with the judges. If "Stand By Your Man" is the greatest country song of all time, I'm a got-dam brain surgeon. Here is MY Top 10:
10) "Blue Moon of Kentucky" by Bill Monroe, the Father of Bluegrass.
9) "I Walk The Line" by Johnny Cash.
8) "Help Me Make It Through The Night" by Kris Kristofferson.
7) "Orange Blossom Special" by any of dozens of people.
6) "Gentle On My Mind" by John Hartford.
5) "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard.
4) "Faster Horses" by Tom T. Hall.
3) "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" by Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.
2) "Crazy" by Patsy Cline.
1) "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Hank Williams.
I had to leave off a lot of really good songs, but that's my Top 10. I like my list a lot better than the one the judges chose last night.
All content © Rob Smith