Gut Rumbles
 

June 23, 2006

quote of the day

The guy ain't right in the head, but he's been commenting on my blog for a long time. Every now and then, he lays a land-mine for me, and I damn near destroy my chair when I run across it. Here's one that earned my Quote of the Day:

"See Dick Run. See Jane Spot."

Health text for the grade school kids.

Posted by Ralph Gizzip at June 23, 2006 07:30 PM

BWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! Ahem.... excuse me... but I thought that comment was hilarious!!!. Could someone pass me a Kleenex, please? I need to wipe my eyes and blow my nose...

But now I gotta ask a question, and I want a ruthlessly honest answer from you. I saw that comment as EXTREMELY humorous on several different levels. Was it really THAT funny, or is my mind totally gone off, spiralling down a worm-hole into strange, dark regions of space?

I really don't know anymore.

Just check this out. For no good reason whatsoever, while I was typing that post below about closing in on 3 million visitors to this site, I thought about "luck" and from there I jumped to wondering whether I've been lucky or unlucky in life, then waaaay over yonder to remembering when I heard a pro golfer once say, "The harder I work, the luckier I get," then to... who was it?

Ben Hogan? Robert E. Lee? My father? Thomas Jefferson? Willie Mosconi? Johnny Unitas?

I ought to Google it to see who said it, but it's damn sure the truth, not matter WHO first uttered those words. Unfortunately for the future of the human race, we don't bother much with teaching it to "The Children" anymore, which is one of many reasons why we're raising a fucked-up bunch today.

"LUCK is 99% PREPARATION! And if you DON'T prepare, and keep praying for that remaining 1% to bring you YOUR "luck" in life, you're going to be unlucky 99 times out of 100."

Ever heard THAT one? It's clear as MUD, isn't it, to people who believe that the world owes them something for nothing? Say that to ME and you're preaching to the choir. It's kinda like telling somebody to wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which hand fills up first. Or like explaining how armies win battles by saying, "You've got to get there the firstest with the mostest."

Or saying, "If the meek ever inherit the earth, they'll keep it for less than a week before the strong take it away from them." Or "a penny saved is a penny earned--- until the IRS takes it away from you and charges enough in interest and pentalties that they end up taking your HOME over that penny you earned."

Or even that corny one about teaching a man to fish, rather than handing him food stamps, free government cheese and a $2,000 FEMA "debit" card when he's hungry. There's a lot of wisdom in those sayings.

I still think my Daddy's favorite saying was one of the best ever: "If it was easy, ANY asshole could do it."

Notice how every one of those slogans say the same thing, really? You make your OWN luck, good or bad, by the decisions YOU make in life. Champions know it, and losers don't want to admit it, but it's true.

That's why losers hate champions so much.

Comments

Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Rob

Posted by: Rob (not THE Rob) on June 23, 2006 09:05 PM

.. I have to admit... I laughed at his comment....

Posted by: Eric on June 23, 2006 09:24 PM

I read this and I think only of pride...a curse and a blessing.

When too proud to accept a needed helping hand, we're damned.

When severely lacking pride, we expect a hand-out.

Posted by: Pam on June 23, 2006 09:32 PM

I don't know who said "The harder I work, the luckier I get" first, but I do know you said your Dad said it at least as early as 2002.
(I saw that post last night, in fact...)

Posted by: Stevie on June 23, 2006 10:48 PM

It was Gary Player.
About 30 years ago.
He holed out from a very difficult lie and a woman accosted him and said he had been really lucky.
He replied "You know, I was lucky and the more I practice the luckier I get"

There is a musical parallel to this tale.
Paderewski, a famous pianist used to practice 8 hours a day. When his dedication was questioned he said
"If I miss one hour I notice the difference, if I miss two hours my wife notices the difference and if I miss three hours my audience notices the difference.

Posted by: Atholl on June 24, 2006 03:41 AM

"Luck favors the prepared, dahling"

Edna "E" Mode.

Posted by: Veeshir on June 24, 2006 10:54 AM

According to Brainy Quote, it was Samuel Goldwyn.

Posted by: Bob on June 24, 2006 06:46 PM
Post a comment














*Note: If you are commenting on an older entry, your
comment will not appear until it has been approved.
Do not resubmit it.