Gut Rumbles
 

April 18, 2006

Hey! It was a lot of work!

Lawyers work haaaaaaaard for their money. In fact, they work so hard that their time is worth more than a person's life.

If approved in federal and probate courts, the settlement would leave the family with $2.4 million and the family's attorneys with $4.1 million.

I wouldn't have the fucking nerve to claim that my services cost damn near DOUBLE the worth of somebody's life. But I'm not a lawyer. I still have a conscience.

Three law firms worked for the family and will split the fees. Paul Martins, one of the lawyers, said the fees are appropriate considering the complexity of the case.

BWHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! What do you expect the guy to say? He's a fricking LAWYER, for cryin' out loud! Of COURSE the fees are "appropriate" for HIM. He's collecting the got-dam money. You don't expect the bastard to be honest and confess, "Yeah, we milked this million-dollar baby for all it was worth. Took twice as much money as we gained for the client, but hey--- it was HAAAAARD work!"

My bleeding, chapped, Cracker ass.

Comments

It was so cold way up north above the Mason -Dixon line that I saw a laywer with his hands in his own pockets. Truth is Ben Franklyn said" when the laws are so complicated that you need a laywer...you need to change the laws. "

Posted by: Arathorn on April 18, 2006 01:09 PM

Bill Shakespeare had it right a few hundred years ago when he said "first, we kill the lawyers".

Posted by: Florida Bill on April 18, 2006 01:20 PM

Their services cost the city twice the sum the family got.

However, the family got 60% (over half) of the money allotted to them, and the lawyers got extra money straight from the city.

This for a claim that went to the US Supreme Court, and had out-of-pocket expenses of $250,000. You don't get legal services like that for cheap. Nor does the family, evidently, feel ill-used by their legal representation.

Posted by: Sigivald on April 18, 2006 01:23 PM

Gee, for some reason it seems totally reasonable to me.

Posted by: Steve H. the Lawyer on April 18, 2006 01:43 PM

Wrongful death cases are very complicated to bring to trial and the lawyers don't stick all that money in their pocket. It's easy to bash them but the truth is the overhead in a law firm is staggering. And with three firms in on the deal, no one firm took more than the family. I'm not saying there's no shyster's out there who bleed clients but this doesn't sound all that out of line to me. The family probably would have received diddly squat without the legal help.

Posted by: Libby on April 18, 2006 02:48 PM

If that was the announced settlement the family had better look out. Lawyers come up with so many additional charges the family will be lucky to end up with a $100,000. That's the way lawyers who are politicians and politicians who are lawyers have the laws set up.

Posted by: scrapiron on April 18, 2006 05:13 PM

These cases are often lost at great expense. If a doctor was doing heart surgery on you and there was a 85% chance he would not get paid, the 15% of people who did pay would have to pay a lot.

Posted by: JOhn on April 21, 2006 01:56 PM
Post a comment














*Note: If you are commenting on an older entry, your
comment will not appear until it has been approved.
Do not resubmit it.